Saturday, March 15, 2008

Annual meeting


The Guild held its annual meeting in London yesterday. I know the annual meeting is not the sexiest of subjects, but this year we attempted to make it very different by asking one of the world's leading authorities on bluetongue, the midge-borne virus, to address us.
Professor Philip Mellor (pictured), of the Institute for Animal Animal Health at Pirbright, proved amazing. He gave the clearest message yet on the threat from bluetongue, the problems the virus causes in ruminants and delivered a horror warning on the other midge-borne viruses that may just be around the corner, such as African Horse Sickness. That viral condition kills horses and, if it arrives, in the UK it has the potential to close down the equestrian sector at a stroke.
I must admit I am mystified with such a wonderful speaker as to why so few people turned up. My focus for the Guild is to deliver member benefits, well here was one. Are we all so apathetic that we can't be bothered turning up on a Friday, or are well all over cooked on the bluetongue message.
I shall put on the record that this presentation was unlike the others that I have heard in recent months, where various groups have put their own self-interests first.
Here we had the man who has led research into bluetongue at Pirbright for 25 years, and one of the few authorities who can provide an independent perspective. He certainly opened my eyes. He could have opened yours too.
I'd be interested to know the reasons as to why so few of you turned up. Was it because the meeting was in London? Was it because it was a Friday? Was it because you knew nothing about it (in which case you only have yourself to blame as it has been well flagged up on the website and the e-bulletins and e-alerts)?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have been there - I attended an AGM for the first time in 2007 - but was required at a company mangement meeting that I couldn't delegate my way out of.

Jamie Day

Anonymous said...

Would be nice to see some events beyond London. I'm happy to travel and London is fairly easy to get to, but it would be easier and more convenient to travel to Manchester or Newcastle or even Glasgow.

Joe Watson said...

It would be wonderful to hold events out of London. The trouble is that much depends on support. I am told that where events have been organised out of the capital in the past the response has been poor.
I have also to admit that much of the responsibility for events is with the regional groups. Scotland has an active group and meets across Scotland.
Between the border and the Midlands though there are problems. I've been trying to find support for setting up a regional group in the North of England, but support has been woeful. I'm all for trying, but there comes a point when you've got to question whether you can keep on flogging a dead horse.

Anonymous said...

I fear it is the way news is gathered and reported these days - if it is not today's topic then it has to be left alone. I have always believed that one should try to pick up as much as possible and store it for a suitable occasion. For instance today I heard an amazing insight into dental implants by a Professor at Warwick University; 2 months ago another researcher at Warwick gave us an equally lucid account of medical research. Neither will help any of my current work, but it may one day. Likewise my holiday in Spain covering 15th March has given me an insight into the history of Andalucia and the origins of the 'interplay' between Christian, Moslem and Jewish traditions - for 200 years in Granada they did manage to exist together, until the Inquisition started! I am sure those who did attend will have something extra to go on when Bluetongue etc hits the news again in 3 weeks time (when the warm weather in Spain and southerly winds reach the UK again).
Mike Bunney

Anonymous said...

I thought about going - it would have been the first for me - but it's more than 400 miles round trip, and I had a concert the next day. I think mid-week is better than Fri or Mon, there's a better chance of fitting in some other meetings in London.