Tuesday, May 27, 2008

On a role?

Is the Guild finally on a roll I have to ask?
I've pinched myself several times in the last 24 hours as we appear finally on the verge of relaunching the Stuart Seaton Award for Provincial Newspapers. It's taken several years, but I can now report progress thanks to the magnificent endeavours of council member Liz Snaith over the last three weeks.
She's now presented to me a proposal that will this year see the Guild once again present the award that was donated in memory of the former editor of Farmers Guardian.
The plan now goes to council's awards sub-committee before coming back to the next full council meeting on June 27.
The hope is that if it goes through council we can launch the award at the Royal Show party on July 3 and entries invited. The wish would be for the award to be presented at the Guild's harvest lunch in London in October.
I also hope to report progress on our Horticultural Award which has disappointingly not been presented for several years. This annoys me considerably and the matter has to be addressed as it has dragged on for far too long. Solutions are being sought.
The other good news, again thanks to Liz, is that we are progressing a membership survey.
This will go out to everyone soon, I hope.
Council cannot function properly without us knowing what you the members want so that is why we will be asking your views over, what I expect will be a web-based platform, in the coming months. This is a unique opportunity for you to provide the organisation with a real steer on what you want and to tell us exactly what you think of us.
I want to know, as I am sure does the rest of council, warts and all whether we are going in the right direction currently, or whether you believe we need to do more.

No comments: