Friday, January 11, 2008

British Airways aka Bucket Airlines

I do love British Airways. The world's favourite airline? Well as Jim Royale would say from the BBC's Royale Family: "My arse."
Let's just say they are the world's most conceited and arrogant airline, which lives on its past glory.
Living in Aberdeenshire you often find that BA often sticks up two fingers to this part of the world as flights to Aberdeen are always the first to be cancelled if any problems surface.
They also held this part of Scotland to ransom for years over flights to London. Knowing they were the only carrier, they charged accordingly.
Thankfully competition arrived a few years back with bmi (British Midland) deciding to operate a service to Heathrow. It immediately heralded a new attitude from BA; but the cost of their flights to London are, generally, still more expensive.
I had to use BA last week to get to London and then onward to Oxford as they, for once, were the cheapest carrier.
But there were problems as soon as I arrived at Aberdeen. The luggage belt wasn't working and would I mind if I took my luggage to the outsize scanner so it could be loaded.
That was at 10am on January 2. The next I saw of my suitcase was at 6pm on January 3.
Yes, 30 hours for a suitcase to get from Aberdeen to Oxford by aeroplane. You could have driven from rural Aberdeenshire to Oxford and back in that time.
I was one of many victims of BA's incompetence on January 2. It transpired our luggage was never loaded on to flights to London we were on, instead being left in Aberdeen as some twat blundered.
Their lost luggage service is an example of just what not should be done. It sent me a text on January 2 saying my missing bag had arrived in London and that it would be delivered to Oxford by 7.15pm. Nothing, however, appeared.
A phone call to BA the following morning was laughable. Yes they had traced the bag, but the van used by the express ("my arse") baggage delivery firm (www.expressbaggage.com) had broken down between Heathrow and Oxford. Yes they accepted the baggage company should have phoned and yes it was appalling that they were letting BA down by not having done so, but "sorry we can't take your complaint, you need to phone customer service".
I then called the baggage firm asking when my bag would be delivered and why they hadn't phoned to say they weren't coming with it the previous evening. Their response, well the poor driver had so much to think about as he had broken down and calling me was the last thing on his mind. Couldn't the depot have phoned me? Apparently not their policy, even though they sent the text to my mobile to tell me to expect my bag at 7.15pm.
What a sham. What a disgrace, but absolutely typical of the service that BA consumers have come to expect from the alleged UK flag carrier that should be better known as Bucket Airlines or, perhaps, even Buggering Awful.
The sad thing for me is that I have to fly BA again. I'm off with them on Thursday to Berlin for an IFAJ meeting.
Let's see if they can do any better this time, or whether they will merely confirm a view held by many passengers that they are simply Bloody Atrocious.
A happy new year to one and all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been trying to contact express baggage but I'm unable to find any number for them on their site that actually goes through to a human.

I have been waiting for over 24 hours since they picked up up my luggage from the airport and I live 45mins away from it.

Polly F. Kimmitt said...

Me, too! Can't find the phone and found this blog instead! What a farce. Family of five with five lost bags on Wednesday afternoon in Cheshire. Left Boston on Monday with a re-route. Bags were collected Tuesday night and now someone is probably loving all the gifts we brought... IS there a number to call?

Anonymous said...

yes there is....0844 4142348. Go through the options and then press 4 which I know says it is if you have had a card put through the door, DON'T worry this gets you to talk to a human being!! If they are busy it does keep going to a loop but you get there in the end! The very helpful man at BA told me how to do this!

I am however perplexed that it takes 24 hrs to get a bag from Heathrow to West Sussex an hour away but I will wait and hope it arrives!